Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: I give the Camle back!!!

Originally posted by lord of the mark

hundreds of caravans in late games clearly bad.

A few caravans in early game, exploring, suddenly coming upon a previously unknown city and selling goods there - good.

Dont know how they might do this, though.
    I think hundreds of caravans are good, where is the problem? The abstract caravan is just something that carrys goods not an animal

And i think there is no need to have the option to explore with a caravan, you have other units for that work. Like i said i like the old trading system

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
      I would rather each resource deposit build up a surplus which you could use or trade, so that if it magically disappeared, you wouldn't be screwed. Say an iron deposit created 100 iron units a turn. A swordsman would require 10 iron units to be created. The left over iron accumulates and can be used or traded in the future.

This is a huge deal to me. Would add so much, and cost so little to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
        I would rather each resource deposit build up a surplus which you could use or trade, so that if it magically disappeared, you wouldn't be screwed. Say an iron deposit created 100 iron units a turn. A swordsman would require 10 iron units to be created. The left over iron accumulates and can be used or traded in the future.
        On one level I agree with you, but when I think that 1 turn in Civilization represents at least 1 year, the possibility of stockpiling enough of a resource even for one turn seems somewhat ridiculous at the realism level. On the other hand, stockpiling could be good for gameplay even though it is hugely unrealistic, but even so it should not be automatic. Perhaps you could build city improvement(s) "Storage" to stockpile resources in a given city.
        Rome rules

Comment

like Colonization.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman

On one level I agree with you, but when I think that 1 turn in Civilization represents at least 1 year, the possibility of stockpiling enough of a resource even for one turn seems somewhat ridiculous at the realism level.
            I seldom like this argument because we accept so much in this game as happening on a weird time scale. Warriors take 1000 years to walk a few hundred miles in the early game, trade deals last for no less than 20 years, and possibly thousands if made early enough.

The city management, military, and diplomatic models all seem to function at their own pace... so a month of time in one is close to a day in another and a year in another. What we need to look for is fun and good features for the game, and not worry overly much about if they make sense according to 1 year = 1 turn.

I too, think that stockpiling could be good for gameplay, and that is enough to get it a thumbs up from me.

Comment

I would like CtP style trade. The trade routes are visible on the map as a line. If a foreign unit steps on this line, there is a "Pirate" option. The line dissapears, and you lose a caravan. The line always follows the quickest route to move (so water, roads, rail etc.) as opposed to the shortest.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy
                I would like CtP style trade. The trade routes are visible on the map as a line. If a foreign unit steps on this line, there is a "Pirate" option. The line dissapears, and you lose a caravan. The line always follows the quickest route to move (so water, roads, rail etc.) as opposed to the shortest.
                Yes! I like this a lot. Basically, I think there should be ways to blocade, raid or simply interfere with your opponent's trade. Any mechanic allows that is desirable.
                Rome rules

Comment

How about this for an idea: all towns that have factories get another 50% addition in production with the advent of mass production.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Oh, yes, and additional citizens after all the tiles were used, MUST be more productive than what we have now!
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

I like the idea of asleepathewheel. Simple and good.
                      But I've never played CTP, is this system seen as better or worse generally?
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

yah

I likes omething like this to show (and than you can trade luxury resources and the like with teh foreign empire)

but I think that you sohuld be able to click (Foreign) cities for it to go through

and those cities, get trade bonus

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The unbalancing part of the trade setup in CTP Is the fact that it is almost impossible to guard a route from piracy. (You can pirate anywhere on the trade route line, and many times the routes pass through hostile territory.) So you probably need to have an actual unit sprite that is merely an indicator for trade. Either that, or have a percentage change of success if you attempt to pirate a route.

And they really need to keep strategic resources in the game, rather than the simple cash cow that trade is in CTP.
                          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Not really. The trade route follows the shortest route, so if you have roads between your cities they follow those roads. So, I often have a couple of warriors or legions in the early game going along the trade route making sue it isn't pirated. Same for the seas (with longboats & fire triremes)

I actually rarely have my trade routes pirated

Comment

You could trade commodities (such as pearls on the seas and beavers on land, for example), for money. However, you can also buy resourses from allies in the game so you can set up a trade route (albeit expensive) and merely trade the resources

Comment

I think it would be cool if we used C3's resource system (with a few bonuses for multiples of the same resource) but had Galciv-esque trade routes (with the little freighter carrying oil, etc).

Comment

Working...
                                X